Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Massachusetts Eye and Ear faculty contributions to COVID-19 research span across multiple areas including clinical research, expert opinions, and basic and translational science. Overall, otolaryngologists at Mass Eye and Ear have:
- Contributed to best practice guidelines on performing common ENT procedures including endoscopy, intubation, and tracheostomy
- Developed numerous strategies on reducing aerosols using workflow recommendations and novel inventions
- Described the impact of COVID-19 on community practices and global health
- Studied the impact of COVID-19 on performers and singers
- Documented post COVID breathing, voice, and swallowing problems
The body of work produced by our academic physicians is among the strongest of any institution in the US.
- Impact of COVID-19 on Otolaryngology Community Practice in Massachusetts.
Fan T, Workman AD, Miller LE, Sakats MM, Rajasekaran K, Brant JA, Parasher AK, Huckins D, Aliphas A, Glicksman R, Eskander A, Glicksman JT. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Feb
- Laryngeal complications of COVID-19.
Naunheim MR, Zhou AS, Puka E, Franco RA Jr, Carroll TL, Teng SE, Mallur PS, Song PC. Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol. 2020 Oct
- Antibiotic Prescribing for Acute Rhinosinusitis: In-Person Versus Virtual Visits During COVID-19.
Miller LE, Bhattacharyya N. Laryngoscope. 2020 Dec
- Aerosol-scavenging isolation barrier mitigates exposure risk during endonasal procedures in coronavirus-2019.
Kempfle JS, Panda A, Hottin M, Vinik K, Kozin ED, Ito CJ, Remenschneider AK. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Jan
- Heads-up Surgery: Endoscopes and Exoscopes for Otology and Neurotology in the Era of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Ridge SE, Shetty KR, Lee DJ. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2021 Feb
- Leveraging telemedicine to preserve pediatric global health missions in the era of COVID-19.
Patel KR, Zablah E, Yager PH, Hartnick CJ. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2021 Jan
- Hospitalization rates and 30-day all-cause mortality among head and neck cancer patients and survivors with COVID-19.
Hanna GJ, Rettig EM, Park JC, Varvares MA, Lorch JH, Margalit DN, Schoenfeld JD, Tishler RB, Goguen LA, Annino DJ Jr, Haddad RI, Uppaluri R. Oral Oncol. 2021 Jan
- Prophylactic and therapeutic topical povidone-iodine in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): What is the evidence?
Yan CH, Bleier BS. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2020 Dec
- CARES Act Provider Relief Fund Aid to Otolaryngologists in Small Practices.
Xiao R, Rathi VK. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Sep
- Suction mitigation of airborne particulate generated during sinonasal drilling and cautery.
Workman AD, Xiao R, Feng A, Gadkaree SK, Quesnel AM, Bleier BS, Scangas GA. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2020 Oct
- Effect of Powered Air-Purifying Respirators on Speech Recognition Among Health Care Workers.
Kempfle JS, Panda A, Hottin M, Vinik K, Kozin ED, Ito CJ, Remenschneider AK.
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Jan
- Preprocedural COVID-19 screening: Do rhinologic patients carry a unique risk burden for false-negative results?
Bleier BS, Welch KC. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2020 Oct
- The Surgical Health Services Research Agenda for the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Jarman MP, Bergmark RW, Chhabra K, Scott JW, Shrime M, Cooper Z, Tsai T. Ann Surg. 2020 Sep
- Management of tracheostomy patients during the COVID-19 pandemic: review of the literature and demonstration.
Kempfle JS, Löwenheim H, Huebner MJ, Iro H, Mueller SK. HNO. 2020 Nov
- Family-Centered Information Dissemination: A Multidisciplinary Virtual COVID-19 "Town Hall".
Jayawardena ADL, Romano S, Callans K, Fracchia MS, Hartnick CJ. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Nov
- Pediatric, Family-Centered, "At-Home" Otologic Physical Examination in the COVID-19 Era.
Jayawardena ADL, Mankarious LA, Keamy DG Jr, Cohen MS. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Nov
- Reply to: Endonasal drilling may be employed safely in the COVID-19 era.
Bleier BS. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2020 Sep
- Predicting COVID-19 Incidence Using Anosmia and Other COVID-19 Symptomatology: Preliminary Analysis Using Google and Twitter.
Panuganti BA, Jafari A, MacDonald B, DeConde AS. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Sep
- Airborne Aerosol Generation During Endonasal Procedures in the Era of COVID-19: Risks and Recommendations.
Workman AD, Jafari A, Welling DB, Varvares MA, Gray ST, Holbrook EH, Scangas GA, Xiao R, Carter BS, Curry WT, Bleier BS. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2020 Sep
- Commentary on the management of total laryngectomy patients during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hennessy M, Bann DV, Patel VA, Saadi R, Krempl GA, Deschler DG, Goyal N, Choi KY. Head Neck. 2020 Jun
- Endonasal instrumentation and aerosolization risk in the era of COVID-19: simulation, literature review, and proposed mitigation strategies.
Workman AD, Welling DB, Carter BS, Curry WT, Holbrook EH, Gray ST, Scangas GA, Bleier BS. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2020 Jul